It’s my favorite time of the year, Autumn! I love the colors of the trees and the cool, crisp temperatures. But I also love the food at this time of year too! It’s a great time for root vegetables, pumpkins and of course, apples.
I have always loved apple desserts. Here is a way to use some great whole food ingredients to make a warm and tasty Apple Crisp.
3 large Apples – peeled, cored and sliced thin
1 1/4 c Almond meal
1/4 c toasted Sunflower Seeds
1/4 c rough chopped almonds – toasted
2 Tbsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
3 Tbsp pure Maple Syrup
4 Tbsp butter, melted
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
juice of 1 Lemon
1-2 Tbsp Rapadura Sugar
Here’s how you get it done:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2. Peel, core and quarter the apples then thinly slice them
3. Layer the apples in a lightly buttered 8×8 baking dish
4. Squeeze the lemon over the apples
5. In a medium bowl mix together the almond meal, sunflower seeds, almonds, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and stir to combine making sure to break up any chunks
6. Melt the butter with the maple syrup and add to the dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly
7. Crumble the topping evenly over the apples
8. Sprinkle the rapadura on top
9. Bake for 45 minutes. Let cool for at least 10 before serving.